Connect with us

Latest

Rasmussen Claims First IndyCar Win as ECR Shines in Milwaukee Breakthrough

Christian Rasmussen’s breakthrough win at the Milwaukee Mile was more than just a personal milestone—it was a moment of triumph for Ed Carpenter Racing (ECR) and a rare shared celebration with teammate Alexander Rossi. As Rasmussen climbed out of his No. 21 Chevrolet to mark his first-ever NTT IndyCar Series victory, Rossi was the first to congratulate him.

Published

on

Christian Rasmussen’s breakthrough win at the Milwaukee Mile was more than just a personal milestone—it was a moment of triumph for Ed Carpenter Racing (ECR) and a rare shared celebration with teammate Alexander Rossi. As Rasmussen climbed out of his No. 21 Chevrolet to mark his first-ever NTT IndyCar Series victory, Rossi was the first to congratulate him.

“Your first-career win is a moment you’ll obviously never forget,” Rossi said. “It’s huge for your career, and he’s been so good on the ovals this year.”

The win was a bright spot in a season that’s been full of ups and downs for ECR. Rossi acknowledged the significance of the moment not just for Rasmussen, but for the entire team: “It’s been a long time coming for ECR as well. It’s been a tough couple years for them. … It’s never an easy road and there’s a lot of work still in front of us. But it’s just an amazing accomplishment for the organization today.”

ECR entered 2025 with tempered expectations. The team had brought in Rossi—winner of the 2016 Indianapolis 500 and runner-up in the 2018 championship—to replace Rinus VeeKay. Despite his pedigree, Rossi had only one win in the previous five seasons and was joining a team that had managed just one podium in the last three years.

Back in January, Rossi told IndyCar.com he didn’t expect instant success: “not going to go from the results that have existed the past couple of years to all of a sudden winning every race,” but he believed there was “potential to surprise a lot of people at points.”

That potential came to life in Milwaukee. ECR executed a bold strategy that placed both cars in the top four, with Rasmussen stunning the field to claim his first win. Initially brought on in 2024 to race only on road and street circuits, Rasmussen wasn’t expected to compete on ovals—those were still Ed Carpenter’s domain. But after Carpenter stepped aside from oval duties in August 2024, Rasmussen quickly proved himself as a rising star on short ovals.

During Sunday’s race, Rossi led the ECR charge early, climbing from 12th to the top five by short-pitting the field. A brief rain shower late in the race allowed both drivers to pit for fresh tires with 28 laps to go. Rasmussen capitalized, vaulting from sixth to first. Rossi, meanwhile, couldn’t match the pace in the final stint and finished fourth, 11.45 seconds behind.

“We saved tires through practice for that scenario,” Rossi explained. “I just wish we were able to be a little bit stronger on that restart. Got caught up fighting Pato (O’Ward) a little bit.
“It is what it is. I mean, it still was the right call, obviously. It won the race.”

Despite missing out on the win himself, Rossi was visibly pleased with the team’s performance. Both drivers have had flashes of brilliance this season—Rossi started strong with three top 10s in four races and now has back-to-back top fives, while Rasmussen had already earned a podium at World Wide Technology Raceway and three top 10s in five starts before Milwaukee.

Until now, ECR hadn’t seen both drivers shine on the same weekend. Milwaukee changed that. It was the first time in 2025 that both finished in the top five—or even the top 10.

With just one race left in the season, the result gives ECR a much-needed boost and a shared achievement to build on after a year marked by isolated successes.

“There was a lot of missed opportunities this year,” Rossi admitted. “… There’s been some really good moments and really disappointing moments, but ultimately I think we knew that, especially on the ovals, the pace was in the car. We showed that today.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Cricket

Zimbabwe reveal squad for Women’s T20 World Cup Africa Qualifier

Published

on

Zimbabwe Cricket has named a strong 14-player squad for the ICC Women’s T20 World Cup Africa Qualifier 2025, to be staged in Namibia from 31 August to 6 September.

Veteran batter Chipo Mugeri-Tiripano will lead the side, which features a mix of seasoned campaigners and emerging talents as Zimbabwe seek to secure a place at next year’s Global Qualifier in Nepal – the final step towards the ICC Women’s T20 World Cup 2026.

Zimbabwe are drawn in Group A alongside hosts Namibia, Nigeria and Sierra Leone, while Group B consists of Uganda, Tanzania, Kenya and Rwanda.

The Lady Chevrons will kick off their campaign against Namibia on the afternoon of 31 August at the Namibia Cricket Ground in Windhoek.

They will then face Sierra Leone the following morning at the same venue, before wrapping up their group fixtures with a clash against Nigeria on 3 September at the HP Oval in the Namibian capital.

The top two sides from each group will qualify for the semi-finals scheduled for 4 September, with the two finalists not only battling for the trophy on 6 September but also booking their tickets to the Global Qualifier in Nepal early next year.

Zimbabwe will look to draw inspiration from their impressive run in the last edition of the Africa Qualifier, held in Uganda in 2023, where they went unbeaten and defeated Uganda in the final to advance.

Head Coach Walter Chawaguta said the team was focused and determined to build on that success.

“This tournament is of huge significance because it is our gateway to the Global Qualifier, which in turn gives us a chance to play at the ICC Women’s T20 World Cup 2026,” he said.

“Every game counts and we know what is at stake.”

He added that preparations had gone well, with the players responding positively in training.

“We have worked hard on all aspects of our game – from batting depth and bowling variations to fielding sharpness,” he said.

“The squad has a good balance of experience and youth, and we believe we are in a strong position to compete.”

Chawaguta, however, warned against complacency.

“It’s important for us to stay humble and grounded,” he said.

“We cannot afford to underestimate any opposition because in tournament cricket, one bad day can undo all your hard work.

“The key will be to remain consistent and play every match with the same intensity.”

The Zimbabwe squad brings together experienced players such as Josephine Nkomo, Modester Mupachikwa, Loreen Tshuma, Nomvelo Sibanda and Christabel Chatonzwa, alongside rising stars Kelis Ndhlovu, Beloved Biza, Kudzai Chigora, Adel Zimunu and Lindokuhle Mabhero.

Chiedza Dhururu, Nyasha Gwanzura and Francisca Chipare complete the 14-player line-up.

ZIMBABWE WOMEN’S SQUAD FOR ICC WOMEN’S T20 WORLD CUP AFRICA QUALIFIER 2025:

Chipo Mugeri-Tiripano (Captain), Beloved Biza, Christabel Chatonzwa, Kudzai Chigora, Francisca Chipare, Chiedza Dhururu, Nyasha Gwanzura, Lindokuhle Mabhero, Modester Mupachikwa, Kelis Ndhlovu, Josephine Nkomo, Nomvelo Sibanda, Loreen Tshuma, Adel Zimunu

Source: Zimbabwe Cricket

Continue Reading

Cricket

Zimbabwe’s Valiant Chase Falls Just Short Against Sri Lanka

In a nail-biting contest at Harare Sports Club on Friday, Zimbabwe came heartbreakingly close to pulling off a stunning run chase, falling just seven runs short as Sri Lanka edged the first ODI in a high-scoring thriller.

Published

on

In a nail-biting contest at Harare Sports Club on Friday, Zimbabwe came heartbreakingly close to pulling off a stunning run chase, falling just seven runs short as Sri Lanka edged the first ODI in a high-scoring thriller.

After winning the toss, stand-in skipper Sean Williams—stepping in for the injured Craig Ervine—opted to bowl first. Zimbabwe’s bowlers started with discipline and control, with Richard Ngarava and Blessing Muzarabani conceding just nine runs in the opening five overs. Ngarava struck early, removing Nishan Madushka with a sharp catch by Sikandar Raza at slip.

Sri Lanka regrouped through a solid 100-run partnership between Pathum Nissanka (76) and Kusal Mendis (38). Zimbabwe clawed back with wickets from Williams, Raza, and Muzarabani, reducing the visitors to 161 for 4. But Janith Liyanage (70*) and Kamindu Mendis (57) unleashed a late onslaught, adding 137 runs in under 14 overs to push Sri Lanka to a formidable 298 for 6.

Zimbabwe’s reply began in disaster, losing Brian Bennett and Brendan Taylor within the first four balls. But Ben Curran (70) and Williams (57) steadied the ship with a 118-run stand, breathing life back into the chase. After their dismissals, Zimbabwe stumbled again, but Raza and Tony Munyonga reignited hopes with a blistering 128-run partnership for the sixth wicket.

With 33 needed off the final four overs, the hosts stayed in the hunt. But the turning point came in the final over when Raza, on 92, was bowled by a searing yorker from Dilshan Madushanka. That wicket sparked a collapse—Evans and Ngarava fell in quick succession, handing Madushanka a dramatic hat-trick. Muzarabani managed a single, leaving Munyonga with nine to get from the final two balls. He could only muster one, as Zimbabwe closed on 291 for 8.

🎯 Key Performers:

  • 🇱🇰 Sri Lanka: Nissanka 76, Liyanage 70*, Madushanka 4/62 (incl. hat-trick)
  • 🇿🇼 Zimbabwe: Raza 92, Curran 70, Ngarava 2/34

Despite the loss, Zimbabwe’s spirited fightback showcased resilience and flair. With two more ODIs to come, the series is still wide open—and the hosts will be eager to turn promise into points.

Continue Reading

Football

Mbeumo Shines as Fernandes Delivers Late Drama in United’s First Win of the Season

Mbeumo Shines as Fernandes Delivers Late Drama in United’s First Win of the Season

Published

on

Manchester United finally broke their winless streak in the Premier League with a thrilling 3–2 victory over Burnley at Old Trafford, capping off a rollercoaster week that began with a shock Carabao Cup exit to Grimsby Town. The Reds, led by Ruben Amorim, showed grit, flair, and resilience in a match that had everything—goals, controversy, and a last-gasp winner.

The afternoon began with intensity as United pressed high and created early chances. Mason Mount’s corner nearly resulted in an own goal, and Matheus Cunha tested Burnley keeper Martin Dubravka with a low drive. Bryan Mbeumo, fresh off his first goal for the club at Grimsby, looked lively again, forcing a diving save and narrowly missing another effort.

United’s breakthrough came in the 27th minute in bizarre fashion. Casemiro’s header crashed off the bar and ricocheted off Burnley captain Josh Cullen into the net. But the joy was tempered when Cunha limped off injured, replaced by Joshua Zirkzee.

Burnley clawed back in the second half, equalising through Lyle Foster in the 56th minute. Yet United responded instantly. Diogo Dalot’s determined run down the left set up Mbeumo for a simple tap-in—his first goal at Old Trafford.

“Yeah, I feel very good,” Mbeumo told MUTV. “I think today was really important that we could win, and yeah, obviously I’m really happy to score my first goal here. We kept going in the game and, at the end, we got the reward.”

Burnley refused to lie down. Jaidon Anthony bundled home a rebound to level the score again, and the game looked destined for a draw until late drama unfolded. In stoppage time, Anthony tugged Amad’s shirt inside the box. After a VAR review, referee Sam Barrott pointed to the spot. Bruno Fernandes, who had missed a penalty the previous weekend, stepped up and coolly slotted home his 99th goal for the club.

Speaking to BBC Match of the Day, Mbeumo reflected on the team’s effort:

“I’m very happy, and we win as well – as a striker, it is important to be confident with goals. We are all a team, it is not only one person. We all worked very hard for the win today.”

Manager Ruben Amorim was full of praise for the Cameroon international:

“It was impressive the way he stretched the team. The quality that he has in the first touch, and you feel that we are a different team because when we win the ball, we have one guy stretching the team.”

With a two-week international break ahead, the timing of the win couldn’t be better. United now prepare for back-to-back clashes against Manchester City and Chelsea, and Mbeumo knows the importance of this momentum.

“It’s really important,” he added. “It gives us a lot of confidence and a bit of a breather before the international break.”

After a week of highs and lows, United finally have lift-off. And with Mbeumo finding his stride and Fernandes leading from the front, the Reds may just be ready to turn their season around.

Continue Reading

Trending