The Sports and Recreation Commission has announced that it has launched a probe team to investigate the happenings at the troubled Zimbabwe Cricket (ZC) board.
By SportBrief Reporter
Speaking at a press conference held on Friday afternoon at the SRC offices in the capital, the SRC chairman Edward Siwela said that a committee has been set up to deal with issues pertaining to the Zimbabwe Cricket (ZC) board that is currently plaguing the sport.
“The board reviewed the events at Zimbabwe Cricket and noted that following the World Cup Qualifier defeat to the UAE, the ZC board had summarily decided to dismiss the technical team that was led by Heath Streak. That further, the ZC Board dismissed the Zimbabwe cricket under 19 Technical Team that was led by coach, Stephen Mangongo purportedly on account of the poor performance of the team,” said Siwela.
“The SRC also noted that there were allegations of racism and match-fixing were raised as one of the reasons why Zimbabwe had failed to qualify for next year’s Cricket World Cup which will be held in England.
That the ZC general manager had let the country under unclear circumstances and was now running the board from Dubai.”
Siwela went on to include the ongoing lawsuits led by former coach Heath Streak that had been filed against the ZC board over their manner of dismissal as part of the unsavoury events that had been taking place, adding that it is for this reason that the SRC has decided to step in.
“The board has set up a Sports and Recreation investigation committee to conduct an enquiry into those matters. The Committee comprises the following:
Commissioner Joseph Mungwari- as Chairman
Commissioner Titus I Zvomuya as a Member, and
SRC Board Committee Member and Lawyer, Benjamin Magogo- as a Member.
This committee has been given a month to carry out its enquiry and to submit its results to the SRC board.”
The SRC, however, was not clear when asked if it was going to be able to resolve issues of the cricket players’ outstanding salaries as the Chevrons are threatening to boycott next month’s high profile tri-nations tournament with Pakistan and Australia.
This still leaves a dark cloud hovering over the status of the tri-series tournament which is now less than a month away.