Following the Sports and Recreation Commission (SRC) Chairman’s statement in September 2017 regarding some National Sport Associations which are not compliant with the Sports and Recreation Commission Act, the Board has resolved to bring the 16 National Sport Associations before a Disciplinary Committee.
By Sports Reporter
The disciplinary committee shall be set early next year.
According to SRC official, the action has been necessitated by the total non compliance of the National Sport Associations in question despite numerous calls for them to regularize their position.
“Corporate Governance is the heart beat of any organization and as such it occupies a very strategic place in the organizational matrix, to end the SRC is determined to nip the transgression in the bud by ensuring that all those who are non compliant are brought to book in line with the Sports and Recreation Commission Act.
“The level of non compliance indicate that some of the National Sport Associations do have regard for the laws of the land. It is in this spirit that we would like to ensure that there is order in the sport and recreation sector,” said Joseph Muchechetere SRC Acting Director General .
“Sport has the capacity and the means to contribute to the economy but this may not happen if we have sport organization that have very low regard for corporate governance and compliance with the laws of the land and their own constitutions,” he added.
The National Sport Associations which are set to appear before the SRC Disciplinary Committee are:
• Zimbabwe Aerobics Association
• Zimbabwe Chess Federation
• Zimbabwe Association of the Blind Sport (ZASOB)
• Zimbabwe Junior Golf Association
• Zimbabwe Handball Federation
• Zimbabwe Pool Association
• Sailing Association of Zimbabwe
• Zimbabwe Wrestling Federation
• Air Sports Federation of Zimbabwe
• Zimbabwe Baseball Association
• Zimbabwe Kickboxing Association
• Zimbabwe Snow Sport Association
• Zimbabwe Softball Association
• Zimbabwe International Taekwondo Association
• Association of International Taekwondo of Zimbabwe
• Weightlifting Federation of Zimbabwe
The other National Sport Associations which are partially compliant with the Sports and Recreation Commission Act are engaging with the SRC.