Thomas ‘Abandonment’ Kusosa

The assistant official just can’t seem to catch a break it would seem after another one of his decisions led to a match being abandoned for the third time this season.

By SportBrief Reporter

Assistant referee Thomas Kusosa seems to be developing a knack for causing matches to be abandoned. This is after a Chibuku Super Cup quarter final game between hosts Shabanie Mine and Caps United was abandoned in the 65th minute following fan backlash over the assistant referee’s decision.

With Shabanie Mine leading the Green Machine 1-0, Kudzai Nyamupfukudza thought he had equalized for Caps only for Kusosa to discredit his goal for offside.

That decision did not go down well with the visitors’ fans, who threw a barrage of missiles onto the pitch in protest with one of them catching Kusosa on the right cheek. Fearing the situation had gotten out of hand, the referee decided to bring the match to a premature end.

Interestingly, this was the third time a match has been abandoned following another one of the assistant’s “decisions”.

The first was the high profile encounter between PSL giants Highlanders and Dynamos at Barbourfields Stadium when his failure to flag a seemingly offside Dynamos hit-man Christian Epoupa sparked wild protest from the home side.

The official was at it again last month when a Chibuku Super Cup first round encounter between Chicken Inn and Yadah FC at Ascot Stadium was abandoned due to protests following another contentious decision (in the eyes of Chicken Inn that is).

And after compiling these rather unfavorable statistics for the match official, the question that lingers in our minds is: Is this just a mere coincidence or can we begin to doubt Kusosa’s decision making?

After the Caps United match yesterday, Gladmore Muzambi, the vice chairman of the Zimbabwe Referees Committee appeared to back the decision to end the match.

“The referees were fearing for their safety and decided to abandon the match. The second assistant referee was traumatized and the match could not continue,” said the match commissioner.

But on the other hand, Cuthbert Chitima, the Caps United chief executive officer had no kind words for the officials, as he argued that the conditions were still playable.

“We are disappointed as an institution by the decision to abandon the match. As Caps United Football club we do not support violence. We want the atmosphere to be conducive for families. We are however against the decision to abandon the match as we felt the environment was conducive to play football.”

While we cannot outright discredit the quality of Kusosa’s officiating, one thing for sure is that the assistant referee is certainly not making any new friends with this “trend”.

The Editor

Sportbrief, The Home Of Exclusive Sport For Feedback, send your an email to:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *