https://www.facebook.com/castlelagerzimbabwe/

Ahmad guns for Hayatou

Newly elected Confederation of African football President, Ahmad Ahmad, has signaled a warning shot against his predecessor’s camp following an investigation of a 12-year broadcasting deal that was signed between Issa Hayatou’s administration and France’s sports and entertainment agency, Lagardère Sports. 

By Sport Reporter

CAF have been criticised after reportedly brokering the partnership without allowing any other bidders to get involved, with Hayatou and the former general secretary, Hisham El Amrani, being targeted for legal action.

After Ahmad beat Hayatou in the CAF Presidential elections last month, the Malagasy has spoken of several changes that could come in under this reign, including a possible change of broadcasting deal.

He told the media in Johannesburg on Friday that the deal was under probe.

“The contract was signed by the previous CAF President. Right now there are procedures against this contract, we just got elected and I’ve appointed people to look after this contract, people who are specialised in TV and in marketing, to study this case about the contract.

“We took a decision after a discussion with the previous general secretary, and we did this to protect the Confederation of African Football against any wrongdoing. This is why the previous general secretary left the office, and we agreed.”

Ahmad went on to say that he is awaiting the analysis of those who have been appointed to study the contract but explained that there is unanimous agreement that it is not a good deal for the continent.

He said, “We’re living in an environment where everything must be transparent and with a democracy. The new CAF will follow up with everything that is not a transparent or democratic. This is why I’m waiting for the analysis to come back to me before I make any decision.

“Everyone is completely agreed that it is not a good contract, and is not good for African football. Right now I can guarantee you that I will never sign any long contract regarding CAF.”

CAF previously denied any wrongdoing, however, it appears that they have changed their tune now that Hayatou is no longer in charge.

Tongai Mwenje

Tongai Mwenje is a Senior Editor with Zimbabwe's largest online sports magazine Sportbrief www.sportbrief.co.zw. He has been writing professionally since 2012 and currently writes for technology and sport blogs. He has vast experience in digital marketing, sports reporting and analysis. He is also a Sports and Technology columnist with Financial Gazette Online Sports Column and Technology Magazine respectively.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *