ZIFA have expelled executive committee member Edzai Kasinauyo for dragging the association to court in a bid to fight his suspension from the board over match-fixing allegations.
Kasinauyo has been on suspension since March 8 when he was fingered in a scam that allegedly tried to fix the Warriors African Cup of Nations games against Swaziland.
The former Warriors midfielder, however, challenged his suspension in a matter that is pending at the High Court.
But ZIFA were not amused by the move and resolved to expel Kasinauyo with the decision now awaiting ratification by the assembly that voted him into office in December last year.
ZIFA president Philip Chiyangwa yesterday declared a vacancy in the association’s board following the expulsion of Kasinauyo.
Chiyangwa told journalists in Harare that Kasinauyo’s fate was good as sealed after he violated Article 60 (1) of the ZIFA constitution by approaching the courts to challenge his suspension after he was fingered in a match-fixing scandal.
The former Moroka Swallows and Ajax Cape Town midfielder was under investigation for his alleged role in a plot to manipulate Zimbabwe’s recent Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers against Swaziland.
Kasinauyo flatly denied the accusations that were unearthed by a whistleblower, Leroy Waguta, and demanded evidence from the association before making the decision to take the matter to the High Court of Zimbabwe.
However, Chiyangwa yesterday said Kasinauyo shot himself in the foot by taking football matters to the courts against the FIFA statutes and also violating the terms of his suspension along the way.
The ZIFA president said the decision to expel Kasinauyo from the board will now be taken to the congress expected to be held next month for ratification.
A by-election to rope in a new board member could be held if the decision is upheld.
Kasinauyo was informed of his fate yesterday through a letter signed by the association’s chief executive officer, Jonathan Mashingaidze.
“Reference is made to the decision of the ZIFA Executive Committee on the 29th of March 2016 where it has been resolved that in terms of Article 34 (n) of the ZIFA constitution you are forthwith provisionally dismissed as a ZIFA Executive Committee member subject to the confirmation of your expulsion by the ZIFA Congress in terms of the ZIFA constitution.
“Further note that in terms of Article 36 (5) of the ZIFA constitution you are forthwith relieved of all your rights and functions as an Executive Committee member with immediate effect. The reasons being for your provisional dismissal are as follows.
“You have violated the ZIFA constitution by taking a dispute to the ordinary courts in violation of Article 60 (1) of the ZIFA constitution. It is common cause that on the 24th of March 2016 you filed an urgent chamber application as an applicant against Zimbabwe Football Association whom you cited as respondent in case number HC 3187 /16.
“Further, you have violated the terms and conditions of your suspension of the 8th of March 2016 which prohibited you from making any contact of any nature whatsoever with ZIFA members and officials.
“On the 9th of March 2016 you flagrantly violated the terms of your suspension by storming into the private office of the ZIFA president at number 160 Enterprise Road in Harare.
“You have shown absolute disdain and disregard of the ZIFA constitution and the ZIFA Rules and Regulations in your conduct which intransigently violates Article 2 (e) and Article 7 of the ZIFA constitution.
“Accordingly you provisionally ceased to be a member of ZIFA Executive Committee member and therefore you must therefore forthwith cease to act, represent and associate yourself with ZIFA in any matter whatsoever. Be advised that any misrepresentation of a purported association with ZIFA will obviously attract necessary criminal sanctions,” wrote Mashingaidze.
The decision has since been communicated to the Sport and Recreation Commission, COSAFA, CAF and world football governing body FIFA.
Chiyangwa also revealed the names of the people who have been charged for their alleged roles in the recent match fixing scandal.
The suspects include the association’s former chief executive Henrietta Rushwaya who is believed to be the ring leader, player intermediary Kudzi Shaba, ex-Warriors coach Ian “Dibango’’ Gorowa, Hwange gaffer and Warriors assistant Nation Dube and former ZIFA programmes officer Jonathan Musavengana who he said worked closely with the Asian illegal betting agents.
The gang also targeted South Africa Premiership matches as well as tournaments such as COSAFA and the recent African Nations Championships in Rwanda.
The other five suspects who were revealed yesterday are expected to appear before the association’s Disciplinary Committee at a date to be announced. Kasinauyo was supposed to be part of the list, but his fate can now only be heard at the Congress.
“The hearings will take place here (at the ZIFA House). The documents in terms of inviting the accused have been dispatched and they have been given seven days to respond to the allegations.
“At the end of it they will have to confirm whether they want to be represented by a lawyer or they want to come by themselves or they want to bring a kinsman to the hearing. After that the disciplinary committee will now be able to come up with a date, time and venue for the hearings,” said Mashingaidze.
None of the players accused of manipulating matches in the Super Diski was charged by ZIFA as the association felt it was still premature.
Investigations are taking place in South Africa also with the help of CAF and last night eight players and officials were expected to attend a hearing by the league’s disciplinary committee.
Reports from South African indicated that the hearings in which Warriors goalkeeper Washington Arubi has been summoned began last night.