Tomorrow, Saturday 25 July, the Zimbabwe Football Association (ZIFA) is holding its joint Annual General Meeting and the Extraordinary General Meeting. The two meetings are to be held at the ZIFA Village in Mt Hampden, Harare.
By Tongai Mwenje
Zimbabwe has been excluded from the World Cup for failing to settle an $81 000 debt owed to former coach Jose Valinhos and also risk losing $300 000 that is due to all participating teams, unless they can justify to Fifa, on the intended use of the once off-payment.
Zimbabwe also failed to send the senior women’s football team to Ivory Coast last week after failing to raise $34 000 for airfares.
Zifa president Cuthbert Dube, together with board members Tawengwa Hara and Fungai Chihuri, were dismissed on May 16 by a group of councillors, but Fifa later reversed the decision saying it had been unconstitutionally convened.
On June 16, with Dube back in office, vice-president Omega Sibanda and board member finance Bernard Gwarada were suspended from the board for taking part in the illegal May 16 meeting and await disciplinary proceedings.
The assembly which will see all assembly members across the country will commence at 1000hours. The two meetings will decide the final verdict of the current ZIFA board which has faced fierce criticism from soccer lovers.
Below is the agenda for the meeting:
- Opening prayer
- To call the meeting to order
- Declaration that the ZIFA Assembly meeting has been convened and composed in compliance with the statutes of ZIFA.
- To verify delegates’ credentials
- To confirm or amend the agenda
- The ZIFA President’s opening remarks
- To appoint members to check the minutes
- To appoint scrutineers
- To suspend or expel members
- To approve minutes of the previous Annual General Meeting of 26th March 2014
- To deal with matters arising from the minutes of the previous Annual General
Meeting of 26th March 2014
- To receive, consider, adopt or otherwise deal with the President’s activity report
- To receive, consider, adopt or otherwise deal with the ZIFA electoral committee report
- To present the consolidated and revised balance sheet and the profit and loss statement
- To approve the financial statements
- To approve the 2015 budget
- To admit new members
- To consider amendments to the constitution and standing orders of which due notice has been given before the meeting (if applicable)
- To appoint independent auditors (if applicable)
- To dismiss a person or a body (if applicable)
- To consider and confirm applications for Honorary Members (if applicable)
- To elect the President, Vice President and Board Members (if applicable)
- To consider any other business of which due notice has been given in writing.
(a) Items submitted for discussion by some members of the ZIFA Assembly, at the
ZIFA Assembly’s Extraordinary General Meeting requested for on 15th March 2015.
(b)Items submitted by the Premier Soccer League